Improve wellbeing with crew participation
In the 6th episode of Heading for change with Cecilia Österman, talking about Crew wellbeing we learned a lot about how we can make sure our crew are feeling involved.
This is her instructions for management to make your crew a resource (and make them feel like a resource):
- Get crew involved. Push power down and out, from the centre and out.
- See crew as a source of insight. Ask questions to generate an understanding for how work can be organised and performed in a way that supports crew physical and mental wellbeing.
- When do you feel that you are doing a successful job, and what about the job makes it successful?
- What is the most stupid thing you need to do at work today?
- What is a safe workplace to you?
- When do you feel stress?
- What resources or tools do you actually use?
- Do you wish you had any other resources or tools?
- Do you feel comfortable working in your personal protective equipment?
- Do you feel that your work is appreciated and that people from higher up are listening to you?
- Is there any aspect of your work that you must do that you feel does not add value or is preventing you from doing your best?
- How did you learn to do this work task?
- What would you like to change in this work task and why?
- If you could spend 100 000 EUR on making your workplace better, what would you do first?
Source: Cecilia Österman