Give your crew resources to strengthen mental health
During the Covid-19 pandemic, which has been a major source of stress for crews and shipping organisations, the need to address mental health issues among seafarers has become even more pronounced than before. When it comes to mental vulnerability, seafarers are one of the most exposed professional groups. Life on a vessel can render employees isolated and working long hours on unhealthy diets and inadequate sleep. Crewmembers may also encounter many stressful situations in their work.
For a long time, discussing mental health has been stigmatised as something shameful, although caring for our mental wellbeing is just as real and important as caring for our physical health. In fact, the two are intricately connected. It’s time we skip the shame and bring seafarers’ mental health to the table.
Together with Blå Mediamentor, Alandia Loss Prevention have created a mental health training package that provides practical tools for crews and shipping organisations for tackling mental health risks.
The training package has to different elements:
- Toolbox with pre-made meetings for use in groups on board the vessels. This toolbox also includes a facilitator guideline.
- Online training available for single users.
As an Alandia lead customer, you can receive the onboard training kit free of charge.
The package contains:
- A Facilitator guide
- A guide for the project manager. Anyone interested in leading a project in mental health could be appointed project manager.
- Anonymous questionnaire
- The questionnaire is used to determine which areas in the mental health wheel are to be prioritized during training.
- 7 Power point presentations.
- The presentations come with a voiceover, so it is not necessary for the project manager to be an expert in terms of explaining the content. The presentations comprise the latest research in mental health as well as group discussion frameworks and reflection tasks.
- One presentation is designed for one meeting. The first and the last meeting/presentation must be included in the project. During the first meeting/presentation, all project participants will fill in the questionnaire. Following the first meeting, the project manager decides how many of the 5 themes of the mental health wheel need to be included in the project based on the questionnaire responses of the participants. Our recommendation is to include at least 2 of the 5 areas, which means that the project will consist of 4 to 7 meetings. The project time-frame may be tailored to suit the individual needs of each organisation.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Mental Health Online Training
You can participate in our mental health training on the online learning platform Seably. It is free for everyone to use.
Want to workshop with us?
Please contact Alandia’s Loss Prevention at firstname.lastname@example.org.